April 2019

April will feature a two-person exhibit by Helen Gigliotti and Art Serabian.

ArtHop reception: Thursday, April 4, 2019, 5:00-8:00pm

Friday Photography Live presentation: Friday, April 12, 2019, 7:00pm

Helen Gigliotti “Iran as I Saw It”

Hanging Out at Khaju Bridge Isfahan
Helen Gigliotti - Hanging Out at Khaju Bridge Isfahan

Artist Statement:

In April 2018, ten of us traveled to Iran as “goodwill ambassadors of peace, one tourist at a time”. We embarked on this trip with a sense of adventure and with a modicum of anxiety but determined to assess the nature of the Iranian people and their culture, to experience remnants of their past great civilizations and to chronicle the current financial/political pressures bound to affect future decision-making as this great Islamic country struggles with its place in the world.

This ancient country boasts 23 UNESCO World Heritage Sites from Persepolis to the capital city of Tehran. These sites consist of ornate mosques, great salt deserts, citadels and bazaars of the Great Silk Road, the Qanat network of water canals, Persian Gardens with underground water channels leading to lavish palaces, and so many more magnificent monuments of the past. The colorful mosaic-tiled buildings with their brilliant calligraphy are stunning to observe and photograph.

Armed with my trusted Canon camera and for my own remembrance, I wandered the streets, villages, markets and monumental structures. The current exhibit of color images captures a small fraction of my many impressions. The brief slide show for Friday Photography Live (April 12, 7 pm) which accompanies this print exhibit expands on these impressions. Please join me for it all! 

Visiting Jameh Mosque Yazd
Helen Gigliotti - Visiting Jameh Mosque Yaz
Artist Bio:

I am a long-time member of Spectrum Art Gallery and have been photographing “forever”. But only after retirement from teaching (Biochemistry) and administrative duties at Fresno State have I been able to devote time and energy to photography classes, workshops and self-study, especially those encompassing the color digital format. All my RAW images are processed using the tools of Adobe Photoshop and printed in my own studio. I can be reached by email at helenjg1@gmail.com, or through my website at http://www.helengigliotti.com

Hijab wearing Schoolgirls on Field Trip
Helen Gigliotti - Hijab-wearing Schoolgirls on Field Trip 

Art Serabian “Insight”

Art Serabian, San Simeon Calm
Art Serabian - San Simeon Calm

Artist Statement:

Exhibitions are a real source of joy for me because they provide a unique opportunity to connect with visitors and savor their responses. Photography is deeply personal and a self-fulfilling proposition - it is all about the story the image conveys. Regardless of the path one takes, I feel if an image resonates and speaks to a viewer, that is a good thing - a fringe benefit of my effort.

“Insight” is a collection of images that provide a glimpse into who I am, and how I view the world. While the prints cover a wide range of subject matter and techniques, it’s felt they have a common theme of style and vision that will engage the viewer, and perhaps take them on journey that will intersect my personal experience.

Art Serabian Courthouse Bench and Window
Art Serabian - Courthouse Bench and Window
Artist Bio:

Art Serabian is a Fresno native whose career spanned 34 years serving public education in a variety of capacities from high school math teacher to central office administrator. While Art has used a film camera most of his adult life, his photography was composed mostly of snap shots with an occasional “artistic” attempt. It wasn’t until he retired that he had time to learn and truly grow as an artist photographer.

Art enjoys photographing a variety of subjects including landscapes, urban scenes, architecture, creative images, and still life. He creates both color and monochrome print images and truly enjoys taking a photographic concept from capture, through digital processing, printing, and finally matting for display. For Art, photography is a very personal proposition and all about the story the image conveys.

Art Serabian Oak Leaf Wheel 
Art Serabian - Oak Leaf Wheel