May 2019

May will feature a one-person exhibit by Daniel Brubaker.

ArtHop reception: Thursday, May 2, 2019, 5:00-8:00pm
Friday Photography Life: Friday, May 17, 2019, 7:00pm

Daniel Brubaker “A Symphony of Trees”

Daniel Brubaker - Mamouth Mtn
Daniel Brubaker - Mamouth Mtn

Symphony of Trees theme:

Trees offer us shelter, food, life (oxygen), shade from the hot sun, beauty, sounds, and home for birds and squirrels. They are celebrated here as appreciated life on Earth. The beauty and serenity of trees are exhibited in the format of color and black and white photography by Dr. Daniel Brubaker.

A Symphony of Trees
by Charles Ghigna

Trees make such exciting sounds.
They whisper when we're near.
Whenever we pass by the trees,
This is what we hear:

We hear their branches sway and creak.
We hear the wind howl higher.
We hear a symphony of trees,
Of nature's great, green choir.

We hear the squirrels scampering.
We hear the blue jays sing.
We hear the robin and the dove—
All sounds the trees can bring.

But one thing that we never hear
When we pass through the park;
We hear the trees' sweet symphonies,
But we never hear their bark!

Daniel Brubaker, Sierra Juniper at Night
Daniel Brubaker -  Sierra Juniper Night
Artist Biography:

My first camera as a kid was a Brownie Reflex camera. I had an inexpensive 35mm Olympus camera throughout college, medical school, and residency that wasn’t used very often. After finishing post-graduate training, I had the money to buy a Nikon F100, 35 mm SLR camera, which I used for landscape and outdoor photography. My Nikon went with me on my fun activities included backpacking, ice and rock climbing, skiing, backpacking, and sea kayaking. This provided me with hundreds of 35 mm slides. The photo world changed to digital in the 1990s, and my next camera was a Nikon D100, except it was a lemon and took poor digital pictures. A friend talked me into buying his Nikon D2x and told me to take courses from professionals. The first one was with Jack Dyknigas at Bryce Canyon. It was an embarrassing situation, because I had a flimsy tripod that Jack made fun of and all of the students were “real photographers.” I didn’t quit, but bought a sturdy tripod, and took courses from Robert Knight who has a gallery in Carmel. I took trips with him along Big Sur, Yosemite, and Tanzania, Africa. I continued with Michael Frye at Ansel Adams Gallery. Digital photography is constantly changing, always learning something new, and provides creativity. This has provided an escape from the pressures of medicine.

Brubaker-Merced-River-Winter-Tree-Reflections
Daniel Brubaker - Merced River Winter Tree Reflections