June 2019

June will feature a two-person exhibit by Joseph Hawkins and Newton Seiden.

ArtHop reception: Thursday, June 6, 2019, 5:00-8:00pm

Joseph Hawkins “The Rule of Thirds”

Diamonds on the Beach, by Joseph Hawkins
Joseph Hawkins - Diamonds on the Beach Isfahan

BIOGRAPHY:

Joseph Hawkins, Amateur Landscape and travel photographer.

THEME OF SHOW:

A Play on words as the “Rule of Thirds” usually applies to the process if composing visual images dividing the imaged into nine quadrants. My collection is actually a collecting of threes. Three photos together each with a common feature, three photos take at three diffierent time - ie before and during and after a storm, three seasons from the same location, three different angles of the same subject, three different national parks etc...

PERTINENT FEATURES:

The collection is printed on metal.

Starry Night, by Joseph Hawkins
Joseph Hawkins - Starry Night

Newton Seiden “There and Back”

Newton Seiden, Mount Whitney
Newton Seiden - Mount Whitney

Artist Statement:

I have had the good fortune to be able to combine two of my strong passions; travel and photography. As my interest in photography has evolved, I realized that photographing a wide range of subjects and settings was both technically challenging and very emotionally satisfying.  This exhibition features some of my favorite landscape, portraiture, wildlife and iPhone photos. While many of these photos were taken during international travel, some of my favorites are shot within 200 miles of home. This is a fine testimonial to the abundant natural wealth that surrounds us in Central California.

I don’t have a complex photographic “philosophy”. My belief is that there are so many beautifully interesting people and places in the world and I want to photograph as much of it as possible. For me, photographic success is measured by the emotional response of the viewer. I would hope that this exhibition makes you “feel something”, evokes a moment of curiosity for the “story” that the photo tells or that it allows you to briefly project yourself “into the photo”.

As I inch my way along my “photographic journey”, I have made a conscious effort to resist the natural temptation to narrow the scope of my photography. That self-imposed constraint feels unnatural to me. I believe that the “creative crossover” that is achieved by remaining a “generalist” actually improves my photography. It makes me feel more “visually nimble” and freshens most situations.

Newton Seiden, Ageless Beauty
Newton Seiden - Ageless Beauty

Photography is simply great fun and has allowed me to experience extended periods of nearly forgotten childlike joy. It provides me with a sense of anticipation and awareness that is simultaneously stimulating and calming and akin to dreaming while wide awake. I have been lucky enough to be able to surround myself with a group kindred spirits who completely understand and value this wonderful mental state. We temporarily put aside our established daily adult roles and responsibilities and become adventurous, brave and impervious to the elements. We feel youthful and free.

I believe that photography is truly my anti-aging cure! I invite you to share the fun and enjoy the exhibition.

Newton Seiden